Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Lego Movie

That moment where you feel like, can laugh at every joke, can be giddy about every reference, can be truly happy for the whole hour and a half of pure brilliance.  That is the Lego movie.

This is a movie I have been excited to see when it first started showing trailers last year.  I was bragging how excited I was to see it to everyone I knew and some of them told me it was a bad idea because it was a February release.  No, I denied everything, and I was still stuck on thinking it was being awesome...and it delivered, with so much more underlying beauty and depth that I didn't know was allowable.

At first the hilarity comes from off-beat hilarity from prolonged takes, subtle changes in sounds, small changes to famous lines, and clear contrasts, but what sets this apart from other movies is the idea of creating creativity.  After everything is set and done, and everyone enjoys the cameos, the intrinsic hilarity of the main character, Emmett, being a complete dolt in parts, it raises this amazing idea that everyone has the possibility of doing great things.  Likely you'll get this due to the idea of the "growth the hero" plot you'll see in the trailer, but the movie breaks beyond that and hits the heart of every person in the audience in a way that not many children movies do.

For instance, Toy story deals with many of the same ideas of creativity and age, but at the same time, Lego is almost timeless because of the idea of the block.  The block is what the maker makes of it at the time in which it is given.  While Toy Story focuses on how Andy ages and how the toy's are slowly moving to extinction, Lego understands that fun knows no age and that creativity happens to everyone.  I love this movie so much, and could not smile or laugh any more than I could during this experience.  I am happy being with the people who make me happy seeing a movie that made me extremely glad to be awesome.  Everything is awesome, and everything is cool when you're part of a team.

Thank you

P.S..

OH MY GOD THE GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is out, 1. I can't wait...2. they're playing "hooked on a feeling" a song I have been addicted to for weeks prior and glad they used...3.  i need to read the comic...HAVE A GREAT ONE

No comments:

Post a Comment